Thursday, March 10, 2011

Interview of a 43 year old by Kugan Parapen on behalf of La Jeunesse Militante/ Le Mauricien 09/03/11

So tell me, how does it feel to be 43?

Well, I'm not getting any younger for a start but I feel there's still a long way to go and this brings me hope. Hope that my life will change for the better, hope that my offsprings will rise to the challenge, hope that tomorrow will be sunnier than yesterday.

I can sense much sadness in your words. It can't have been that bad, can it?

No, of course there have been some great moments. The radiant faces celebrating my birth, the coming together of my children for the Indian Ocean games of 1985 and 2003, the revolutionary mood of the seventies culminating in that 1982 electoral backlash among others. But I feel we tend to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. We are not learning our lessons. On the contrary, we are allowing divisive forces threaten our unity time and time again.

Why do you think this is so?

Hmmm...I think the biggest culprit are my politicians. They have played this game of divide and rule for so long now that suspicion and mistrust have become second nature. You know, when I was 15 years old, I thought this would only be temporary; a consequence of my immaturity. But alas, I was wrong. One day, however, my tree will provide enough shade for everyone to feel at home and welcome. In all honesty, while I shower my children with all my love, many of them tend to treat me as a step mother. With such mentality, I'm afraid we are going nowhere.

Since you brought it up, let me pop the question. What is your appreciation of the current crop of politicians?

Current crop? You must be joking. As far as I can remember, they have monopolised the stage forever. It is high time for most of them to make way. Some have lost touch with reality, some have mutated from coaltar warriors to couch potatoes, while the few special ones are still going strong and doing what they do best: manipulating my children with their nazi-esque propaganda and playing their sordid 'Who wants to be a corrupted millionaire?' behind the scenes.

A very bleak picture indeed...any hope?

Listen, our saviour will not come from the sky. Our saviour is my youth. They need to understand the true meaning of politics. I'm sickened when I hear them say that they are not interested in politics because it does not make a difference in their lives. Can you believe that? But this is not the worst. Some of them actually believe that the rationale behind politics is to make money. Pathetic, but who's to balme?

The Medpoint family maybe?

Haha, funny guy. But trust me, they are not the only ones. Could we wind up the interview please? I need to nourish the Lotto family. We all do!

Well, let me thank you for your precious time and wish you a happy 43rd birthday. Any conclusion?

Thanks. A birthday is a celebration of an existence. To all those who believe in me, I say keep fighting. Justice will prevail one day. One day, you will all be Mauritians...

Kugan Parapen

On behalf of Jeunesse Militante

0 comments:

Post a Comment